It seems the SCCM 2012 client will no longer install BITS 2.5 automatically. I’ve put this vbscript together to allow you to force BITS 2.5 onto Windows Server 2003 x86 or x64 without requiring multiple reboots/logons. If you don’t have an existing deployment infrastructure this eliminates a lot of extra work.
You will need to place this script in a folder, the client files in a source subfolder, and the BITS 2.5 hotfixes and a copy of pskill.exe in the bits25 subfolder. Modify the ccmsetup line of the script to suit your infrastructure.
This was written as a quick and dirty solution. It isn’t elegant but it works.
The script performs the following actions:
1. Install the correct BITS 2.5 patch depending on the platform.
2. Launch the BITS service if it isn’t running.
3. Use tasklist /svc output to identify the PID of the netsvc.exe instance BITS is running under.
4. Kill that instance of netsvc.exe. I had to use pskill because WMI wasn’t cutting it.
5. Update the required .dll files.
6. Restart BITS. SCCM will now recognize BITS 2.5 as being installed.
7. Execute ccmsetup.exe to complete the SCCM 2012 client installation.